Friday, August 16, 2013

Life's Sweet - the Birthday of a Foodaholic

So, it was my birthday again...

August 13 has always been a very special day, not only cuz it's my birthday, but it's also my mom's. It has become even more special for me: 8 years ago on my birthday, I came to the Netherlands to finish my bachelor's degree and I never left...Just when you think it couldn't get any more special, well, guess again! This year, it also happened to be the Qixi Festival (七夕情人節/Chinese Valentine's' Day) ! If you're familiar with the Chinese Lunar Year system, you'd know how much of a happy coincidence this is.

I never really celebrated my birthdays ever since I left home, I always do something though such as a cake, cuz I need my birthday wishes and I believe as long as you don't blow a candle and eat your cake, you don't get to make a b-day wish...

Anyway, here is another of my "I don't really celebrate my birthdays" birthday.


In the Chinese and some other Asian countries' culture, every birthday has to start with noodle soup, or at least that's the most important eat of the day. Not just any noodle, it has to be Yi mein (伊麵) /Sau mein (壽麵/Longevity noodles). My grandmother always cooks the noodle with eggs and tomatoes for my birthdays for as long as I can remember, and now I've been cooking the same for myself for 7 years. It never tastes as good though. I told my grandma the first thing I'm gonna eat next time I come home is her egg-tomato-noodle soup LOL



Birthday (sort of) brunch with Fran
Dim Sum @ Tai Soen









Ice coffee with whipped cream @ La Place


And the sweetest b-day gift I got this year: Fran's beauty gift box she picked and assembled personally! Thank you again sweetie <3



Birthday (sort of) dinner and movie with H


We came across this cutest Spanish place by accident and when we walked in they were playing the same Flamenco Jazz album H gave me when we first started dating!




I loved everything @ El Olivo, the decor, the music, the food...
the only downside was they don't have cocktails...not even margaritas...


So I settled for beer



Since I had too much to eat at brunch, we only ordered tapas for two, but H had to grab a burger afterwards haha








The candle holder matches my outfit of that day, another sweet coincidence...




Short walk with H after dinner and before the movie along the canal





World War Z is great! 
Horror, action and Brad Pitt all in one? What more can a girl ask for!? ^o^



And last but not least, my birthday cupcakes, designed and handmade by me, with love.
The only way to get things exactly the way you want, is to make it yourself.


Chocolate cakes with buttercream frosting and marzipan flowers.
I also made plain ones without the flowers, they looked less fancy but tasted even better. 
I don't like the tastes of fondant and gumpaste, and I dislike marzipan even more...
I wish there was a way to make rollable buttercream.







Life is sweet.

Seize the moment.

6 comments :

  1. Loved the cupcake!!!! *drools*

    The icing melted in my mouth...hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your blog very inspiring..;-)
    Maybe you'd like to follow each other? Let me know :)

    You can also see my facebook page here

    ♡ Kisses,Patrycja
    holdmelikeapillow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, sorry for the late reply. I checked out your site and am loving it, esp. the name, very cute and special! I'm following you with GFC and would really appreciate it if you follow me back :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. OMG!! DELICIOUS! :)

    Do u want to follow each other? I'm already following u!

    xx from

    http://www.letoileduphare.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalia, sorry for the late reply! I'm so glad that you liked my post and am flattered that you are following me!!! I'm also following you on bloglovin and with GFC. Hope to see you very often here or on your site! xo

      Delete

Tell me what you think ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
back to top